History

St. Anthony's Church is the site of the shrine to Our Blessed Mother, Mary. It was Father Anthony Sylla, a Polish born Oblate, who initiated the building of the grotto on the Eve of World War II in 1939.

The Shrine is a replica of the world-famous Grotto of Our Lady of Lourdes in France.

 

Thousands of people have visited the Shrine Of Our Lady of Lourdes not only from Canada, but also abroad from Europe, Ireland, England, India, just to mention a few.

 

A large road sign erected in 2013 by John Sidloski Group of Weyburn has attracted many visitors. Many pilgrims come annually to take part in the annual pilgrimage and many people come simply to pray or meditate in a very quiet, peaceful and serene atmosphere. According to many, this Shrine has taken on the title of "The Most Beautiful Shrine in Western Canada”. 

 

 

 

 

  The Production of this Shrine

  

‚Äč

  •  1940: The main portion of the grotto was built.

  • 1941: The stones around the Grotto and the two large wings in the form of a semicircle, were completed.

  • The first pilgrimage- August 14th and 15th.

  • Msgr. J.A Janssen, the Vicar General of the Regina Archdiocese, blessed the Shrine on June 15th, 1941.

 

  • 1944: A cross was erected at the top of the hill above the niche containing the statue of the Blessed Virgin Mary

  • Two statues at the foot of the cross - one of the Sorrowful Mother and the other of St. John

  • In the same stone are altars with three statues-below the Cross is the pieta(Jesus lying in the arms of His Mother) the other two in the side niche of Our Lord in the Sepulchre, and the third of Jesus' Resurrection.

  • At the ground level is a statue of St. Bernadette with her eyes focussed on The Blessed Virgin Mary

 

  • 1955: A statue of Our Lady of Grace was donated to Father Sylla by the Knights of Columbus who constructed and financed a fountain where the statue was placed

 

  • 1958-59: Stations of the Cross were erected around the outside of the hill after Father Sylla's  Golden Jubilee Ordination Celebration

 

  • 2010-2011: The Grotto underwent complete restoration with the generous donations of  Cas and Marie Broda and their son, Gord( Barb) Broda

 

  • 2011: Parishioners restored all the statues and planters ( totalling 54)

 

  • 2012: The statue of St. Gianna Beretta Molla, Pro-life Saint, with three children was created in          Italy in the homeland of St. Gianna by the world famous five-generation family of artists and artisans, Ferdinand Stuflesser 1875

 

  • 2013: A life-sized bronze statue of Father Anthony Sylla was placed at the entrance of the shrine looking at the Blessed Virgin Mary. This statue was also created by the Ferdinand Stuflesser 1875 Company from Italy.

 

  • 2014: Images of the "Life of Mary" were completed in 2014 and are displayed on the west wall of the Parish Hall.

 

  • 2015: Pilgrims may now receive a Plenary Indulgence during the annual pilgrimage

  • facebook-square
  • Twitter Square
  • google-plus-square
  • facebook-square
  • Twitter Square
  • google-plus-square

© 2016 Rama RC St. Anthony's Parish & Shrine of Our Lady of Lourdes

Tel 306.593.6120 Fax  306.593.2121

Box 1, Rama, Sk. S0A 3H0

  • facebook-square
  • Twitter Square
  • google-plus-square

Follow us